Saturday, March 10, 2012

Altered Book

 Our local art journaling group is starting another Altered Book Exchange. The book I'm using this time is a withdrawn library book, purchased at a Friends of the Library Book sale.  It was damaged on several pages, and had a cover with fun doodle type drawings all over it, which, in my book, makes it perfect to alter!  

I wanted to change the spine, but leave the rest of the cover intact. (Of course, I forgot to get a before picture)
Taped and painted
I debated covering the spine with cloth or painting it, and decided to paint. I prepped by sanding just the area I planned to paint, then taped (painters tape) to the edge of the cover pattern. I then painted a few layers of black gesso, drying between layers,  and added a couple of layers of black acrylic paint, also drying between layers

Once dry I removed the tape... TADA! 
Tape removed
I have covered spines with suede paper or cloth, but not painted, so hopefully it will hold up to 9-10 other artists working in it. 


I had to share the inside flyleaf with the original library pocket. This will become the signature page for everyone to sign and date when they work in my book. Besides the "check out slip",  I'll probably add a name plate and my theme title on these pages. 


For the theme, I think it may have to be something that includes doodles... but we'll see. 






Linking to

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

Wow, this is a really cool book.

GalleryJuana said...

Visiting from Cheryl's meme.

What a fantastic find. Looks like an inviting and fun start to your latest project.

lynnsie said...

Helen, I'm impressed. I love altering old books. I haven't done many but I'm in the middle of one now too. We'll have to share when we get going.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...